In Conversation with Dr Rachel Goh

 


What prompted/persuaded you to join NIE as a teaching fellow four years ago?

As a newly-minted doctoral graduate, the opportunity to work in a higher education context was a godsend. My original intent was to apply the learning from my doctoral research in facilitating teacher professional development in the context of lesson study. The opportunity to work with NIE faculty enabled me to build my curriculum and assessment expertise and participate in cutting-edge research on assessment feedback in schools, which far exceeded my expectations. 

What were the incidents or experiences that have impacted you the most?

The incidents that have impacted me the most revolved around my interactions with struggling students in the higher degree programme, many of whom were trying to cope with the academic demands as well as manage challenges at work and transitions at home. In sitting beside my students to work out the learning issues with them, I found myself developing greater empathy for learners and being more cognisant of the assessment theory-practice nexus at work. 

How has your philosophy and your pedagogy in assessment changed?

My pedagogy in assessment has become less teacher-directed and more student-driven over the course of time, shaped largely by a deepening belief in the importance of fostering student voice and developing self-regulation. This philosophy informed by my research experience fuelled changes I made in involving students in assessment by way of co-constructing rubrics, having students make feedback requests, peer- and self-assess.

What would be your proudest achievement?

My proudest achievement would be the publication of the book ‘Designing quality assessment feedback in schools’ which I had worked on with middle leaders from the MLS assessment feedback elective and teachers from schools. This book project would not have been possible if not for the encouragement from my mentors, A/P Kelvin Tan and Dr Tay Hui Yong, who also gave invaluable feedback on the manuscript.

What is one thing you would say is most vital for assessment to meet the needs of all learners?

For assessment to meet the needs of all learners, one thing that is vital is to reframe what is deemed as a measure of success. Valuing students’ personal best where we compare their current performance to their past performances places a primacy upon the learners’ individual progress and development. The shift in emphasis can counter the pressures of normative comparison and ensure that intended learning outcomes are achieved by each and every single learner under our care, including those struggling to learn.

What are your future plans for, and with, assessment?

I hope to promote teacher inquiry into assessment practices in schools to challenge ourselves to ensure that all learners benefit adequately from assessment.